As the transmission system operator, Elia is responsible for ensuring the supply of electricity throughout Belgium. It therefore plays a key role both in the well-being of the community and in the economic success of companies and the prosperity of organisations.
We believe that sustainable success can only be achieved by striving actively for a sound balance between profit, people’s social well-being and preserving the planet.
We are committed to being a socially responsible company, as is evident in our mission statement and everything we do.
- We actively support European, federal and regional energy and climate targets.
- We contribute to the integration of green energy into our grid and to the development of a fully-fledged high-voltage offshore grid.
- We develop the grid of the future in a sustainable way and at the lowest possible cost to the community.
- We engage in an ongoing dialogue with all stakeholders in our activities: customers, staff, people living near our facilities, students and the general public.
- We ensure that the grid is maintained and developed in a sustainable way and at the lowest possible cost to the community. The LIFE+ Elia project, for example, supported by the European Commission, will help to restore biodiversity on land crossed by our overhead lines.
- We carry out our mission – providing transparent and non-discriminatory access to the transmission grid – in the social sphere by means of the Elia Fund, which is managed by the King Baudouin Foundation. The Fund supports projects that help people with a disability to access a world of discovery and wonder.
- We encourage young people to study science and technology through: